Dear Evan Hansen Scholarship
Get ready to bust out those pens and a piece of paper!
HENDERSON NEV. (GVTV NEWS)- Broadway Education Alliance Inc. and Gotham Writers Workshop have announced the Fourth Annual Dear Evan Hansen College Essay Writing Contest. A $10,000 college scholarship will be awarded to the writer of the winning essay. Submissions must be received by May 9 at 11:59 PM ET for consideration here!
The 2022 theme is inspired by a moment in Dear Evan Hansen when Evan’s mother, Heidi, offers Evan a hopeful view of life after high school.
“College is going to be so great for you… how many times in life do you get the chance to just… start all over again?”
To enter the contest, 11th and 12th grade students must write and submit a college-application style essay, under 650 words, that answers the following prompt: “Have you ever had the chance to reinvent yourself? As you look ahead to life after high school, will you introduce a whole new you to a fresh community, or further shape the best version of yourself?”
- Entries should be 650 words or less.
- Students from North America who are in 11th or 12th grades are eligible to enter.
- There is no entry fee.
- Though the theme of reinvention is inspired by Dear Evan Hansen, writers are not required to reference or quote the production directly in their essays.
- Essays should be specific and have a clear narrative.
- Entries will be evaluated on originality, the quality of the writing, narrative, and clarity.
- Entries will be judged by a panel of writers and cross-industry professionals. Previous contest judges include six-time Tony nominee Chad Beguelin, Little Brown Books for Young Readers editorial director Farrin Jacobs, and Washington Post theater critic Peter Marks.
- Deadline: 11:59 p.m. ET on Monday, May 9th, 2022.
- Winners will be announced in mid-June. All entrants will be notified when the winners are chosen.
Email [email protected] if you have any questions!